Webinar: Transparency of fisheries in Mauritania (and beyond) | 27 July 2021
This webinar, jointly organized by the Fisheries Transparency Initiative (FiTI) and the Regional Partnership for Coastal and Marine Conservation (PRCM), will recognize the launch of Mauritania’s first FiTI report and discuss future opportunities and challenges of making transparency in fisheries management the global norm.
The webinar will take place on Tuesday, 27 July 2021 at 2 p.m. UTC | 4 p.m. CEST. English and French translation is provided.
While there are many aspects to achieve sustainable fisheries, the public availability of credible information is critical. But it has not been a priority!
Many governments are still not disclosing even basic information on their fisheries sector, such as laws, licenses, fishing agreements, stock assessments, payment and catch data, and subsidies.
In May 2021, the Islamic Republic of Mauritania launched its first ever report to the Fisheries Transparency Initiative (FiTI), marking an important first step in the global movement towards transparency of fisheries management information.
This report does not only make known a range of previously unpublished information, such as foreign access agreements or the list of licensed industrial fishing vessels. It also provides key status information about its fisheries sector, demonstrates the country’s level of compliance against the transparency requirements of the FiTI Standard, and provides 15 recommendations to further enhance transparency over time.
- H.E. Mr Dy Ould ZEIN, Minister of Fisheries and Maritime Economy, Islamic Republic of Mauritania
- Ms Céline IDIL, Head of Unit, Trade Negotiations and Sustainable Fisheries Partnership Agreements, Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, European Commission
- Mr Jean-Paul ADAM, Director, Technology, Climate Change and Natural Resource Management Division, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA)
- Ms Leontine KANZIEMO, Advisor, Natural Resources Management, African Development Bank Group
- Mr Gaoussou GUEYE, President, African Confederation of Artisanal Fisheries Professional (CAOPA)
For more information about this webinar, please download the event flyer in English and French.