The government of the Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe has publicly committed to implement the FiTI.
A public commitment demonstrates a sincere intention of the country’s government to increase transparency in fisheries management through the FiTI. However, the commitment should not be misinterpreted as official acceptance into the initiative. Only when such a commitment is followed by concrete implementation activities (such as the establishment of a FiTI National Multi-Stakeholder Group or the agreement on the country’s first FiTI workplan) and the subsequent approval of the country’s Candidate Application by the FiTI International Board will São Tomé and Príncipe be formally recognised as an FiTI implementing country.
The national authorities of São Tomé and Príncipe publicly committed to the FiTI in December 2018. However, this commitment did not endure the change in political leadership of the country in 2019.
The FiTI restarted its collaboration with stakeholders in São Tomé and Príncipe (government, business, civil society) in November 2020. The objective is to raise awareness about the importance of transparency for the country’s marine fisheries sector and to obtain a robust commitment from the government of São Tomé and Príncipe to implement the FiTI.
|Commitment to implement the FiTI:||11 January 2022|
|FiTI Lead Ministry:||Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Fisheries|
|FiTI National Lead:||Mr Ilair de Conceição|
|Head of FiTI National Secretariat:||[To be determined]|
|Contact within the FiTI International Secretariat:||Mr Delvis Fortes|
The government of São Tomé and Príncipe has not submitted an official Candidate application to the FiTI International Board yet.
Not applicable yet.
Not applicable yet.
- TAKING STOCK assessment for São Tomé and Príncipe shows need to implement the FiTI
- FiTI International Secretariat conducts country mission to São Tomé and Príncipe to advance FiTI implementation process
- TAKING STOCK: FiTI initiates online transparency assessment of fisheries management information for São Tomé and Príncipe
- São Tomé and Príncipe joins FiTI!
- Expression of Interest: FiTI implementation partners for Mauritius and São Tomé and Príncipe
- Irish Aid supports FiTI to increase transparency in four African SIDS
- São Tomé e Príncipe commits to implement FiTI