The government of the Republic of Guinea has publicly committed to implement the FiTI.
A public commitment demonstrates a sincere intention of the country’s government to increase transparency in fisheries management through the FiTI. However, the commitment should not be misinterpreted as official acceptance into the initiative. Only when such a commitment is followed by concrete implementation activities (such as the establishment of a FiTI National Multi-Stakeholder Group or the agreement on the country’s first FiTI workplan) and the subsequent approval of the country’s Candidate Application by the FiTI International Board will Guinea be formally recognised as an FiTI implementing country.
With a coastline of 1,615 km, the fisheries and aquaculture sector is one of the pillars of the Guinean economy in terms of budget revenues, food security and jobs. For example, according to the UN-FAO, fishing activities generated more than 15,7 million dollars in exports (in 2019).
Since 2017, the FiTI has been collaborating with stakeholders in Guinea (government, business, civil society) to raise awareness about the importance of transparency for the country’s marine fisheries sector.
|Commitment to implement the FiTI:||28 November 2022|
|FiTI Lead Ministry:||Ministry of Fisheries and Maritime Economy|
|FiTI National Lead:||Mr Ibrahima Khalil Gueye|
|Head of FiTI National Secretariat:||Mr Lansana KOLIE|
|Contact within the FiTI International Secretariat:||Mr Mansor Ndour|
The government of Guinea has not submitted an official Candidate application to the FiTI International Board yet.
Not applicable yet.
Not applicable yet.
- Guinea commits to implement the FiTI!
- FiTI conducts fact-finding mission to Guinea to explore opportunities to revitalise FiTI implementation
- Guinea hosts first sub-regional workshop on fisheries transparency in West Africa
- Guinean actors gather to continue efforts in implementing the FiTI
- PRCM & FiTI join forces to promote fisheries transparency in West Africa
- 2nd INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE: Launching a new era of transparency and participation in fisheries
- President of Guinea reemphasize its engagement to the FiTI
- Guinea’s fisheries actors all behind the FiTI
- Guinea reiterates strong commitment to Fisheries Transparency Initiative
- SRFC & FiTI Secretariat partner to enhance transparent and inclusive fisheries