2nd International Conference of the Fisheries Transparency Initiative
INDONESIA, 27 April 2017; the 2nd International Conference of the Fisheries Transparency Initiative, hosted by the Government of Indonesia, launched a new era of transparency and participation in fisheries through the adoption of the first FiTI Standard and the launch of the first FiTI International Board.
On the invitation of H.E. Susi Pudjiastuti, Minister of Marine Affairs and Fisheries of Indonesia, more than 200 participants from government, industry, small-scale fishing associations, civil society organizations, academia and media met in Bali.
Participants of the 2nd International Conference of the Fisheries Transparency Initiative adopted the first FiTI Standard, which sets out the requirements that countries must follow to be part of the FiTI. The establishment of the FiTI Standard marks the beginning of the implementation phase of the initiative through which FiTI countries will increase transparency and participation in fisheries governance for the benefit of a more sustainable management of marine fisheries.
In addition to the adoption of the first FiTI Standard, the 2nd International Conference also launched the initiative’s first International Multi-Stakeholder Board. The FiTI International Board is the global executive body of the FiTI, comprising of representatives from government, business and civil society. The Board oversees the activities of the FiTI through regular Board meetings, committee meetings and more frequent Board circulars. The FiTI International Board is chaired by Prof. Dr. Peter Eigen.
The outcomes of the 2nd International Conference of the FiTI are summarized in the Bali Communiqué which was adopted by the participants by acclamation.
Several eminent personalities and high-level representatives were present at the conference:
Opening of the Conference
- Mr. I Made Mangku Pastika, Head of Marine and Fisheries Provincial Office of Bali, Republic of Indonesia
- H.E. El Moctar Ould Djay, Minister of Finance and Economy, Islamic Republic of Mauritania
- H.E. Michael Benstrong, Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries, Republic of the Seychelles
- Mr. Peter Eigen, Chair of the International Advisory Group, Fisheries Transparency Initiative
- Mr. Rifky Effendi Hardijanto, Secretary General of the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries, Republic of Indonesia
Setting The Scene : The Fisheries Transparency Initiative at a Glance
- Mr. Sven Biermann, Director, Fisheries Transparency Initiative
- Mr. Aryo Hanggono, Expert Staff of Ecology and Marine Resources of the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries, Republic of Indonesia
Plenary Discussion I – ” The Advantages of Transparency to Sustainable Fisheries”
- Chair:Ms. Natalia Soebagjo, Member of the International Board of Directors, Transparency International
- Mr. Nabisouleymane Bangoura, FiTI focal point, Ministry of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Maritime Economy, Republic of Guinea
- Mr. Philippe Michaud, Special Advisor to the Blue Economy, Republic of the Seychelles
- Mr. Mas Achmad Santosa, Coordinator of Special Advisors of Presidential Task Force to Combat Illegal Fishing and Minister’s Advisor on Fisheries Law, Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries, Republic of Indonesia
- Mr. Abass Sylla, Director General of Public Investments and Economic Cooperation, Ministry of Economy and Finance, Islamic Republic of Mauritania
- Mr. Xavier Vincent, Senior Fisheries Specialist, Environment and Natural Resources, World Bank
Plenary Discussion II – ” Implementation of Fisheries Transparency: Opportunity and Challenges”
- Chair:Mr. André Standing, Technical Advisor to the FiTI International Secretariat
- Mr. Michael J. Batty, Director of Fisheries Development, Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency
- Ms. María José Cornax, Policy and Advocacy Director, Oceana
- Ms. Claire Delpeuch, Fisheries Policy Economist, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Mr. Gaoussou Gueye, Secretary General, African Confederation of Artisanal Fisheries Professional Organizations (CAOPA)
- Mr. Yunus Husein, Special Advisor of Indonesia Task Force to Combat Illegal Fishing, Republic of Indonesia
- H.E. Susi Pudjiastuti, Minister, Marine Affairs and Fisheries, Republic of Indonesia
You must be logged in to post a comment.